ProtonMail – Encrypted Email
By Proton AG
Category: – Communication
The Swiss-based ProtonMail secure email app combines state-of-the-art security features with end-to-end encryption while being intuitive and easy to use. Used by millions worldwide, the ProtonMail app respects your privacy.
The Wall Street Journal says:
“ProtonMail offers encrypted email, which makes it virtually impossible for anyone to read it except the sender and the recipient.”
With the ProtonMail app, you can:
- Create a new protonmail.com email address
- Send and receive encrypted emails and attachments with ease
- Switch between multiple ProtonMail accounts
- Keep your inbox tidy and clean with folders, labels and simple swipe-gestures
- Receive new email notifications
- Send password protected encrypted emails to non-ProtonMail email addresses
Why use ProtonMail?
- ProtonMail is free: we believe everyone deserves privacy. To get more done and support our mission, you can upgrade to a paid plan.
- Automatic ‘easy-to-use’ end-to-end encryption that is invisible to the user
- Zero-access encryption meaning not even Proton can read your emails
- Open-source encryption that allows inspection by security experts from around the world
- ProtonMail is hosted entirely in Switzerland, under the protection of the world’s strongest privacy laws
Industry Leading Security Features
Messages are stored on ProtonMail servers using end-to-end encryption at all times and are transmitted securely between Proton servers and user devices. This largely eliminates the risk of message interception.
Zero Access to Your Email Content
ProtonMail’s zero access architecture means that your data is encrypted in a way that makes it inaccessible to us. Data is encrypted on the client side using an encryption key that Proton does not have access to. This means we don’t have the technical ability to decrypt your messages.
ProtonMail’s open-source software has been thoroughly vetted by security experts from around the world to ensure the highest levels of protection. ProtonMail only uses secure implementations of AES, RSA, along with OpenPGP, while all of the cryptographic libraries used are open source. By using open-source libraries, ProtonMail can guarantee that the encryption algorithms used do not have clandestinely built-in back doors.
ProtonMail in the press:
“ProtonMail is a Gmail-like email system which uses end-to-end encryption, making it impossible for outside parties to monitor.” Forbes